UF Purchasing

PCard Transactions



Alphabetical Index



The links at right will direct you to information more specific to a variety of transactions/purchases conducted by UF employees.


The PCard is the most convenient and efficient method by which to purchase airfare.  Air travel is recommended when the cost of an employee's time is an important factor or when travel time by other methods would increase the subsistence expense.

Checklist for booking airfare:

First Class
The University reimburses commercial airfares for economy/coach accommodations. First class transportation is not allowed. Business class travel will be acceptable on flights lasting longer than 9 hours.  If first class travel is preferred, the cardholder is responsible for the difference between coach and first-class rates and this difference MUST NOT be charged to the PCard.

    Other Employees
    The PCard can be used to pay for other university travelers while on official University Business. Separate receipts are required for each traveler.

    All travel directives apply to all non-University of Florida employees (e.g., students, prospective employees, speakers, consultants) when traveling at the University's expense.

    The PCard cannot be used to travel expenses for spouses and other family members unless their travel is also for official business.

    Penalties for cancellation may be paid from university funds only if the cause for cancellation is in the best interest of the University or due to illness of the traveler or a member of the traveler's immediate family.  If the ticket is canceled for the convenience of the traveler, the cancellation fee must be paid by the traveler.  See UF's Travel Directives.

    If a cancellation is necessary:


Cell Phone Service

Cell phone service can be paid on a PCard when:

Review the Purchasing and Disbursements Directives and Procedures regarding Telecommunication: Responsibilities, Cell Phones, Wireless Devices, Internet Charges.

Cell phones cannot be purchased with the PCard.


Conference Registrations

The PCard can be used to pay registration fees for conferences, conventions, or seminars.

The PCard may be used when the registration fee includes meals or social events.  Optional events, those with separate fees, cannot be paid via PCard.  Optional events must be paid for by the cardholder or traveler.

Because conference fees are typically paid in advance the cardholder must sign the registration confirmation to affirming that the event is for official business.

Travel Authorizations, required for all travel relating to conferences/conventions, must be done BEFORE making the charge.  The Travel Authorization number must be written on the payment documentation.

Please refer to the Travel Directives and Procedures for additional information.



The PCard can be used to purchase gasoline for use in the following:

NOTE:  The PCard CANNOT used to purchase gasoline for a personal vehicle—even when traveling on business. Reimbursement for these expenses will be made when an Expense Report is filed.



Travelers are expected to use prudent judgment in the selection of hotels and restaurants while traveling on official university business.

Single Occupancy
The PCard can only be used for University/State official business hotel stays and is limited to single occupancy rate.  If a receipt shows double occupancy and the other occupant was not on state business, documentation from the hotel that the single and double occupancy rates were the same is required.  If an employee shares their room with a co-worker while on University/State business, the Travel Expense Report Form must name the other traveler.

Separating Personal Charges
When making hotel reservations AND at check in, it is important to tell the hotel to separate hotel room charges from personal charges.  The PCard can ONLY be used for the hotel room.  Personal charges such as room service, mini-bar, movies, etc. MUST be charged to a personal credit card.

Tax Exempt
When staying at hotel is in the State of Florida, remember that UF is exempt from paying Florida sales tax. Often hotels require a hard copy of the Tax Exempt Form.  A wallet-sized version of the tax-exempt form was issued with the PCard.  If the hotel requires a full sized copy of the Consumer's Certificate of Exemption.

Hotel receipts must be itemized.

Other Charges
Other hotel expenses that can be paid via PCard include:

PCard charges for these kinds of services will require complete explanation on the travel expense report.

Most hotels have a cancellation fee, usually the price of one night stay, if a reservation is cancelled after a certain number of days before check-in.  Be aware of the cancellation date so you can give the hotel enough notice and not be charged.

Cardholders are personally liable for any charges or penalties resulting from failure to give proper notice of cancellation.  To verify the cancellation fee is allowable, you must file a Travel Expense Report (reimbursement voucher) which includes a justification stating the business reason for the cancellation. If a reservation is canceled for the convenience of the traveler, the cancellation may not be reimbursed from State funds.

Paying for other travelers
If you share your room with a co-worker who is also on University/State business, your Travel Expense Report Form must name the other traveler. Each of you must list the other traveler on the Travel Expense Report and each must notate the name of the cardholder who paid for the transaction.

Cardholders not traveling themselves may use their PCard to pay for someone else’s hotel as long as it is for official UF/State business.  The cardholder should contact the hotel to confirm that they will accept their card as payment.  In these situations, the UF vendor agreement form may be helpful dealing with the hotel.  If you are booking multiple rooms ask for separate charge for each traveler.

As with all hotel stays, the PCard can ONLY be used for the cost of the room.  All personal charges such as room service, mini-bar, movies, etc. MUST be paid by the traveler.

Remember, only the cardholder may use their PCard.  Do not give your card or card number to other travelers.

For more specific information see UF Finance and Accounting Directives and Procedures for Travel and/or Section 112.061(3), Florida  Statutes.



The PCard can be used to pay for memberships but the following requirements must be completed before the purchase:

Make sure that the PCard transaction backup documentation showing the above are included with your PCard receipts attached to your Monthly Report.


Rental Car

Travelers whose transportation is provided by rental vehicles shall make use of any State contract for rental vehicles which may be in effect at the time of the travel. The current State of Florida contract is with AVIS.

Failure to use the AVIS or Enterprise contract for rental vehicles will require written justification by the traveler. In the event the traveler fails to justify use of a rental company other than one of the above vendors, any additional cost will be borne by the traveler.

Here’s Your Checklist:

  1. Check the State of Florida contract. If you do not use the state contract, you may be responsible for any difference in cost.
  2. Rent a subcompact or compact cars, or a justification for larger vehicle signed by the traveler. The rental of hybrid vehicles is allowed without a justification.
  3. We are tax exempt for exempt in-state rentals.
  4. Get an itemized receipt.


See UF Finance and Accounting Directives and Procedures for Travel and/or Section 112.061(3), Florida Statutes for more specific information.